Call for nominations now open: NSTF- South32 Awards 2018/2019
Register nominations online by 14 December 2018!
Special Annual Theme Award: The NSTF’s theme for 2019 is the ‘International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements’ (#IYPT2019), as declared by the United Nations (UN). Aligned with this, the Special Annual Theme Award for 2018/2019 will be made for an outstanding contribution to materials for inclusive economic development.
Register nominations for individuals, teams and organisations for an outstanding contribution to SET and innovation in South Africa: The contributions recognised are in the following broad areas.
- Scientific research
- Management of SET and innovation
- Capacity building in engineering research
- Research and innovation towards the Green Economy
- Water management solutions
- Data for research
- Innovations and their research and/or development
- Communication and creating awareness of SET and Innovation
- Technology transfer activities, as well as education and training through a non-governmental organisation (NGO)
- Materials for inclusive economic development, through the 2018/2019 Special Annual Theme Award.
There are a few changes to categories and criteria this year.
Special Annual Theme Award: The NSTF is making a special theme award this year for a contribution to SET and innovation for materials for inclusive economic development. This is in recognition of the UN’s celebration of the ‘2019 International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements’. The theme provides a focus on research in Materials Science and the development of materials to support relevant aspects of economic development in South Africa. The scope could include:
- All areas of science, engineering, mining and agriculture, where new materials have been developed, including new uses or combinations of the elements
- New applications or reconfigurations of older applications directed towards improvement in South Africa’s economic growth
- New developments in industry, particularly for job creation and the alleviation of poverty
The work can be theoretical or practical. It should include analyses of the approximate or relative costs involved to establish or maintain an industry based on the materials being researched.
Communication award for outreach and communicating awareness of SET and innovation within the last 5 years: note that a leaning towards professional science communicators will apply.
Innovation awards: We introduced a major change to the Innovation Category last year and continue to do so this year, with greater emphasis on ‘innovation’. These awards are now called the ‘Awards for Innovations and their research and/or development’ over the last 5 to 10 years through either an SMME or a corporate organisation.
Research categories: The time periods for each category are now clearly anchored to the commencement of the research. We continue to have no requirement for a PhD. All research categories are now open to anyone currently involved in research. We have continued with the strengthened focus on the further development of outputs towards innovations.
A transformed country where SET and innovation contribute to a high quality of life for all who live in South Africa, where the profile of SET professionals is representative of the population’s profile and where the education system is effective, particularly in terms of performance in SET subjects and promoting innovation.
The NSTF Awards are one of the ways in which the NSTF strives to realise its vision.
This is a two-stage nomination process:
Stage 1 – Register a nomination by 14 December 2018
- Please note that registering a nominee is only the beginning of the two-stage nomination process. When you register a nominee, the NSTF Office will respond with the official category nomination form to be completed by 1 March 2019 (Stage 2).
- Notify the nominee that you intend to nominate him/her/them (team/organisation). Ensure that you receive their agreement to participate.
- Complete and submit the online registration. The nominee will receive an email notification confirming receipt of your registration and the NSTF Office will respond with the full nomination form/s as an attachment to complete. Please alert the NSTF Office at email@example.com should you (the nominee) not receive this notification and the relevant forms.
Stage 2 – Submit completed nomination documents by 1 March 2019
- Ensure that the fully-completed nomination form/s are emailed to the NSTF before the final deadline and that you receive a confirmation from the NSTF Office.
- Please note that planning and time are required to complete the nomination document. Hence there is a 11-week period (December to March) provided for this preparation.
Full title of categories: All the awards are ‘For an outstanding contribution to science, engineering and technology (SET) and innovation…’ (The complete title of each award starts with this wording in place of “contribution”.)
|1. Individual Awards||
| 2. Engineering Research Capacity Development Awards – contribution by an individual
over the last 5 to 10 years
| 3. The Green Economy Research and Innovation Award – contribution by an individual
or an organisation towards achieving biodiversity conservation, environmental
sustainability and a greener economy over the last 5 to 10 years
| 4. NSTF-Water Research Commission (WRC) Award – contribution by an individual or an organisation to SET in South Africa towards sustainable water management, knowledge
generation and solutions over the last 5 to 10 years
| 5. Data for Research Award – contribution by an individual or a team for advancing the
availability, management and use of data for research
|6. Innovation Awards||
| 7. Communication Award – contribution for outreach and creating awareness of SET and
innovation by a team or individual over the last 5 years
| 8. Non-governmental Organisation Award – contribution including technology transfer,
and education and training activities over the last 5 to 10 years
| 9. Special Annual Theme Award 2018/2019: Materials for inclusive economic
development (awarded according to criteria in any of the categories above)
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +27 12 841 3987|