The Summit is proud to have an easily accessible competition for inventors, entrepreneurs and organisations who have a working prototype or product from proven concept to early commercialisation, called “The Inventors Garage”. This platform is a highlight of the Summit and a key touch point that allows for an experience in the shoes of the inventor. This platform is a bid to discover more of Africa’s innovative talent and gives every innovator, inventor and unique creative thinker the opportunity to present their concept, prototype or product to the start-up ecosystem. It offers an ideal platform for inventors to gain access to funding or incubation. Finalists receive the opportunity to exhibit their invention, prototype or design at the SA Innovation Summit.
- Organisationsor individuals with a proven concept, prototype or demo version of a product
- Garage and Kitchen inventors who are crafting up a storm
- Entrepreneurs who are experimenting with new inventions
- Established companies with a new product to launch
- Researchers with the latest discoveries at their fingertips
A first round of evaluation will be done to screen submissions for VALIDITY and FEASIBILITY based on the information submitted. A second round of judging will select the top 20 submissions to go through to the Summit. The top 20 semi-finalists selected will be notified by the end of July and will be invited to exhibit at the SA Innovation Summit between 16 and 18 September where the final round of judging will take place, based on the following criteria:
SUBMIT YOUR INVENTION
The winner will be announced on 17 September at the award ceremony – a tribute to the spirit of innovation and the work of dedicated inventors whose pioneering inventions provide answers to some of the biggest challenges of our times.
No fees are required to submit an application. The Top 20 inventors invited to exhibit at the SA Innovation Summit will get complimentary tickets.
To enter the competition, submit your entry below. Remember to upload the photos of your invention (5 MB maximum) and vie for cash prizes, media exposure and promotion, networking opportunities with enablers and sponsors, and more!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The Inventors Garage Competition has been opened for entries from South Africans and the rest of Africa, and all entries will be seen on public platforms. You are therefore advised not to submit any information deemed to be confidential. By entering the competition, you confirm that you are the rightful proprietor of any Intellectual Property underlying the invention and that you are entitled to disclose the invention to the public.
Entering the competition will result in the posting of your innovation on the official SA Innovation Summit Facebook Page, and the subsequent exhibition thereof at the SA Innovation Summit will constitute a public disclosure which may preclude you from obtaining patent and/or design protection for your innovation.
Innovators are therefore advised to take the necessary steps to protect their Intellectual Property before such disclosure.
- Only entries received via the SA Innovation Summit website will be accepted.
- Please ensure that the photo of your invention is in JPEG format and does not exceed 5MB.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right, by its sole discretion, not to accept entries or to disqualify entries at any stage should it transpire that such entries have been made by illegitimate, suspicious, and/or unqualified participants.
- Winners will be chosen by a qualified appointed judging panel. The judging panel’s decision is final.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right to use the images entered for promotional and marketing purposes.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at its sole discretion.
- For any competition inquiries, please email us at email@example.com.
- Please note that the information contained in your submission is not confidential and not protected. You are therefore advised not to submit any information deemed to be confidential.
- All participants will be informed of the outcome of the results after the closing date.
- The SA Innovation Summit will not be covering transportation and accommodation costs for finalists who will be presenting at the Summit event.
- Finalists will receive a complementary ticket to the SA Innovation Summit.
- The SA Innovation Summit Inventors Garage Facebook competition is a competition that runs on the Facebook platform alongside the actual competition as a build up to the Summit event in September.
- Entries into the SA Innovation Summit Inventors Garage competition will be automatically entered into the Inventors Garage Facebook Competition.
- The winner is based on the number of ‘likes, reactions and shares’ an invention profiled on the SA Innovation Summit Facebook page has generated.
- Once the Inventors Garage Facebook Competition is launched on Facebook, each day two inventions will be profiled on Facebook. It is imperative that the inventor submits his/her Facebook handle on submission of entry so that the correct handle can be tagged when the invention is being profiled.
- The winner will walk away with R5000 in cash.
- This is strictly a Facebook Competition and does not imply that all the inventions profiled are automatically finalists in the main event taking place at #SAIS2020 in September.
- This competition will run from 1 May until the end of July 2020 and thereafter the results will be announced.
- The official announcement and prize handover will be made at the Summit event in September, Cape Town.