Africa's Business Heroes Application Workshop II
Competition applications require a significant amount of time and practice to be able to reflect your business authentically and valuably. The SA Innovation Summit hosts application support workshops as a partner with the African Business Heroes 2021 competition to give applicants the dos and don’ts to best position themselves in the application.
Did you join the application support workshop on the 13th of May 2021? If you missed it or would like to review the session we have the video below for you.
African business heroes stand a chance to win:
- A share of $1.5 million – there are 10 cash prizes to be won.
- Access to world-class mentorship and training.
- Networking opportunities with leading businesspeople.
- Televised media exposure across the continent.
Highlights from the speakers:
Joan Nalubega, CEO & Founder of Uganics and 2020 Top 10 finalist shared some wisdom with us and had this to say to applicants: “Just give it a try! This is an experience you are going to learn from. When you apply, it becomes very competitive but choosing to bet on yourself can make your dreams come true.”
Audrey Verhaeghe and special guest Joan Chawapiwa, who are both Angel Investors with Dazzle Angels joined us to share some reflections from investors on applications. Audrey and Jean discussed some tips for businesses to look at when pitching.
Audrey Verhaeghe, Founder & Chairperson SA Innovation Summit:
- Take your time to raise interest in the application form.
- Communicate your research and insights with clear thoughts.
- Research your competitors thoroughly.
- Stand out from the crowd.
- Make sure your intellectual property is well set-out.
Jean Chawapiwa, Founder Win Win Solutions 4 Africa:
- Remember that people invest in people.
- Be clear on the problem you are solving, and the solution are you bringing forward to it.
- Present your business as unique.
- Make sure you’ve got good financial reporting.
- Have a great pitch deck.
- Understand your pricing inside-out.
Buntu Majaja, Director SA Innovation Summit:
Having a consistent story aligned to ABH values is the core of your application. Write like the story you are.
Every written response should contribute to your application story based on the ABH values. Every story has five parts to it:
- There is a problem and a desire.
- There is a hero, that is you.
- Going on an adventure to build a company.
- Talk about the adventure and the details of the business.
- And then project its success into the future.
Questions & Answers
Missed the Application Workshop? Please watch the full video recording below.
Do you know any thriving African entrepreneur who could benefit from this competition? Please let them know of this amazing opportunity.