“Building for Africa by Africans,” because no one else can do it better than ourselves. We are the only ones who really know what is needed in Africa to make and build our communities and empower more minorities within our continent.
The fourth instalment of the “Africa’s Business Heroes” (ABH) prize competition competition is well underway on a quest to identify and spotlight African entrepreneur heroes who are actively creating an impact in their communities.
African business heroes stand a chance to win:
- A share of $1.5 million – there are 10 cash prizes to be won.
- Access to world-class mentorship and training.
- Networking opportunities with leading businesspeople.
- Televised media exposure across the continent.
To help all you amazing entrepreneurs enter the competition, the SA Innovation Summit hosted an Application Support Workshop on the 26th of May 2022. Here is a breakdown of how the application workshop can help you position yourself to respond effectively in your application and pitch.
Highlights from the workshop
Violet Amoabeng, ABH 2021 Finalist and Founder of Skin Gourmet, spoke about her experience with ABH and said that it was an amazing opportunity for her. She recommended that everyone take the opportunity as a chance to better themselves no matter what your circumstances. Given that this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, try your best to enjoy the process and get everything you can out of it
Mampho Sotshongaye, the Chief Executive Officer of Golden Reward and Community Lead emphasised the importance of striving to make a change and that ABH is committed to helping your business thrive by providing you with the tools and resources you need.
Buntu Majaja, CEO of SA Innovation Summit pointed out the following to take note of:
- Only one founder may go through the program.
- The applicant must be of African origin and the business should be registered as well as operating within an African country.
- Records of revenue for three years should be available.
- The application does not need to be completed in one go.
- It is available in French as well as English.
- All compulsory questions should be answered.
- The deadline for applications is the 6th of June 2022.
Buntu went on to add the following approach to the application process:
Overall principles to observe when approaching the application:
- Alignment with ABH Values- tone, language, and positioning.
- Be consistent in having a single key narrative throughout the application and provide examples as much as possible.
- Make it personal – tell a story of who you are and let the readers get to know you and get a sense of who you are.
- Remember to create a link between your founder and business profile. First impressions count.
- Clearly articulate the problem you are addressing, the solution you are providing, and the strong evidence that customers are buying into the solution.
- Writing the application is a journey. Leverage your network to get good feedback on your application.
- All values of Revenue should be reflected in dollars.
- Describe your plan for the next three years using measurable statistics and in great detail.
Are you interested in applying or currently applying but missed this Application Support Workshop?
For more information and to apply, please visit the ABH website here