Accelerating from Concept to Commercialisation
Do you have a working prototype or product from proven concept to early commercialisation? Get exposure, expert advice, mentorship and possible deal-making!
Competition opened: 15 April 2016
Competition closed: 21 August 2016 – This competition is now closed and the Entry Form has been removed.
Watch this space next year to enter the 2017 Inventors Garage Competition.
Entering the Inventors Garage Competition gives you the opportunity to win amazing prizes and receive plenty of exposure!
- Stand a chance to win an overseas trip to meet international investors in Europe
- Showcase your technologies / ideas to a wider audience
- Gain PR exposure up to the value of R 500 000 (if a finalist)
- Obtain access to funds and acceleration support (the judges will commit to second interviews if the pitches are of interest)
- Tap into different markets (the audience will watch to make connections)
- Have access to technical expertise (advisers, IP specialists and venture capitalists)
- Gain access to the Match and Invest Lounge, where key funders will be available for consultation (we put together a high impact group that would otherwise take years to identify and pitch to)
- R 5 000 cash prize for the entry with the most likes on Facebook.
R5 000 cash prize for the entry with the most likes on Facebook!
Up to R1m for Early Learning Innovations
The Innovation Edge will once again be partnering with the South African Innovation Summit this year, following a successful collaboration in 2015.
The Innovation Edge is a social innovation platform dedicated to early learning in South Africa. When children access quality learning early in life, the whole of society benefits. The Innovation Edge works to find radical solutions to give children under age 6 who live in poor communities a fair start in life.
At SAIS 2016, the Innovation Edge will be on the search for early learning innovations and will offer up to R1 million in funding, as well as additional support such as incubation bootcamps, to brave ideas with the potential to change the early life experiences of children.
Who should take part?
- Organisations or individuals with a proven concept, prototype or demo version of a product
- Garage and Kitchen inventors who are crafting up a storm
- Entrepreneurs who are experimenting with new inventions
- Established companies with a new product to launch
- Researchers with the latest discoveries at their fingertips
The competition closes 21 August 2016. The first round of judging will take place from 17 August to 30 August 2016. This will be an online screening of inventions for VALIDITY and FEASIBILITY.
Worthy finalists from the first round will be invited to exhibit at the SA Innovation Summit Market on the Edge from 23 – 24 September 2016. Only the finalists at the Market on the Edge will qualify for the next round of judging.
The second round of judging will take place at the Market on the Edge, where the inventions will be showcased. The second round will be judged on originality, need, potential, practicality and creativity.
- The ORIGINALITY – Is your invention one of a kind?
- The NEED – Is there a market for your invention?
- The POTENTIAL – Is there further growth potential?
- The PRACTICALITY – Does it really work?
- The CREATIVITY – What have you done differently along the innovation route?
Winners will be announced at the Market on the Edge Award Ceremony.
How to Enter
- Let us know who you are: Name, Surname, City, Contact number and Email address
- Take a selfie
- Give your invention a title or name
- Write a paragraph (150 words) about your invention
- Take photos of your invention and upload it on the entry form (photos must not exceed 5 MB)
- Submit entries between 15 April 2016 and 21 August 2016 (date extended) by 17:00
Intellectual Property and why it is important
The Inventors’ Garage Competition is an open competition and all entries will be seen on public platforms. You are therefore advised not to submit any information deemed to be confidential. By entering the competition, you confirm that you are the rightful proprietor of any Intellectual Property underlying the invention and that you are entitled to disclose the invention to the public.
Entering the competition will result in the posting of your innovation on the official SA Innovation Summit Facebook Page, and the subsequent exhibition thereof at the SA Innovation Summit will constitute a public disclosure which may preclude you from obtaining patent and/or design protection for your innovation.
Innovators are therefore advised to take the necessary steps to protect their Intellectual Property before such disclosure. For more information, innovators can contact Lodewyk Cilliers at Spoor & Fisher: email@example.com.
View current entries by clicking on the link below
Competition T’s and C’s
- The Intellectual Property should belong to you / the inventor and you should be able to supply proof of ownership on request. For advice e-mail Spoor & Fisher.
- You can enter as an individual, group or a company.
- You can enter as many inventions as you like.
- Finalists of the first round must be able to exhibit at the SA Innovation Summit 2016 taking place at the Birchwood Hotel in Johannesburg on 21 – 24 September 2016.
- The SA Innovation Summit or competition organisers are under no obligation to finance the finalists’ travel expenses to exhibit at the SA Innovation Summit.
- This competition officially starts on 15 April 2016 and closes on 21 August 2016.
- Only entries received via the online submission form will be accepted.
- Invalid entries will be discarded at the SA Innovation Summit’s discretion.
- All of the information should be valid. If it is discovered that any information is false, the entry will be disqualified.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right, at its sole discretion, not to accept entries or to disqualify entries at any stage should it transpire that such entries have been made by illegitimate, suspicious, and/or unqualified participants.
- Winners will be chosen by a qualified appointed judging panel.
- The judging panel’s decision is final. The SA Innovation Summit cannot be held accountable if IP is taken by another party that was not protected by the inventor.
- Entering the competition will result in the posting of your innovation on the official SA Innovation Summit Facebook Page, and the subsequent exhibition thereof at the SA Innovation Summit will constitute a public disclosure which may preclude you from obtaining patent and/or design protection for your innovation. Innovators are therefore advised to take the necessary steps to protect their intellectual property before such disclosure.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right to use the images entered for promotional and marketing purposes.
- The SA Innovation Summit reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at its sole discretion.
- Wait for the email confirmation to ensure that your entry has been received. If you have not received confirmation within 48 hours, let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Look out for your title, description and invention photo on Facebook here.
Get everyone to like your invention to count for a vote for your entry. There is a R5 000 cash prize for the invention with the most likes on Facebook.